Friday, May 13, 2011

Your Mom is on Facebook, Literally

Remember the days of Facebook when all the pictures you had up on your page were keg stands, beer pong, and late nigh shenanigans, perhaps you standing at the drive thru of a Krystals at 3AM, or as my college experience went; high as a kite eating peanut butter out of a jar? Well my friends, it is time to admit these days are no more. Yes, I am sad to see them go but the college student exclusivity is gone and your 12 year old cousin, mother, great aunt, boss and anyone else on FB can see you! It seems like this fact has escaped a few people I have come across recently. Here are a few examples:

Who’s that voice at the end of the line?
I ordered custom mouse pads for my company and was immediately emailed by their graphics department. After a brief phone call between my graphic artist and theirs we became curious and FB'd him. We were not prepared. The photo that showed up was a man wearing.... wait for it.... a black leather vest with straps and chains across his bare chest, and black leather chaps. This is not the mental picture I want to have every time I place an order.

Hey I heard we got a new guy…
I work with a lovely young guy who recently quit moving to a higher paying job. Good for him! This was his first job out of college and he was grossly underpaid. BUT, when he made the announcement on FB and opened himself up to all the new people he will be working with, his profile picture was him drinking out of a trophy cup, to be followed by a profile picture of him in a snuggie doing a keg stand the following day.

Then there is MY mom, who IS actually on FB and doesn’t realize how it all works. So she sent me this little gem on my wall, not realizing a message and writing on someone’s wall is different.

MH : Hi Snoogie-poo? How are you honeychild? Staying warm? It's in the teens here and snowing. That won't stop us though we are making ice cream tonight!!! - with the new ice cream maker, thank you very much. What kind of ice cream you are wondering m-m-m lick your lips pumpkin:)

Bottom line, my mom is on FB and your mom probably is too. The fun is over.

No comments: