Monday, May 23, 2011

What’s in a name?

I have a “normal” name. As in, I had the experience in school where I had to go by my first name and last initial because someone else in my class had the same name and I hated that! Anyway, now that I am married, I now have a common first and last name. I have to say, I am fine with it. More and more you hear about celebrities naming their children strange names like Apple, Bear, and Pilot Inspektor – I’m looking at you Jason Lee.  My view is, to each his own, BUT… may I suggest creating a focus group of 7-12 year olds to come up with nicknames for your future children.  I made the mistake of telling my husband that I liked the name Lake.  He immediately went off on a tangent about how boys would say, “Take a dip in the Lake,” and something about dropping an anchor. Enough said, I took that name off the imaginary table for our imaginary kids.  So apparently my husband could be in the focus group too!  But I just don’t think parents think enough about nicknames when coming up with a formal name for their children.  This is serious business people. 

I have come across a few very hilarious names that are just funny on their own, no need to even come up with a nickname. For example:
  • Draper Lovelady
  • Bettina Batista
  • Valda Valbrum
  • Brown Johnson
  • My personal favorite: Kiffen Butz

Then there are those repetitive and word-play names.  For the women, I sympathize that you were committed enough to change your name for your husband and are now
  • Candy Pear
  • Holly Day
  • Robin Robinson
  • Holly Holiday 

It takes a very confident woman to do that. 

For men, get a court order and change your name because I cannot take you serious if your name is
  • John Johnson
  • Steve Stevenson
  • Harris Harrison
  • Robert Robertson

Then there are the common names with uncommon spellings. This will just make your offspring’s life a living hell have to spell their name for the rest of their LIFE.
  • Kamryn – It’s Cameron.
  • Alyson – We all know it’s usually Alison or Allison – stick with one of those.
  • Brittany – the most accepted spelling, but there is Brittni/Britney/Britny/Britnee – Why are there so many options??  It all sounds the SAME!!!
  • Kemystri – a. I know this isn’t common, but I’ve actually come across this name b. this should never be a name. c. It’s Chemistry.
  • Don’t even get me started on Megan.   
Use this post as a Public Service Announcement and think about it before you go naming your child  Russell Nail, aka Rusty Nail.


**All of these names are real. I can't make this up.  Any names you want to share?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Rusty Nail, what a card.

Erin said...

OK... one of my customers at a former job was named Becky Binkholder and she would follow it up with the name of the city she lived in when she'd call. "Erin? This is Becky Binkholder of Bourbon."

Also, Ben works with a woman named Dusty Post.