Sunday, May 22, 2011

Going to Grandma's House

Before my family made the move to Tennessee when I was 10, I used to live about 45 minutes from my Grandma so I used to see her all the time.  I loved my weekends at my Grams. She is an adorable 4 foot 9 inch Italian woman who until recently drove a teal Dodge Shadow with pillows so she could see over the steering wheel. She is also truly one of my very favorite people in the world. The older I get the more I realize my mom is like her in being able to talk to anyone and in turn I have become the same. Side note – at the age of 90, she attended my second cousin’s wedding. At the very large reception we were all mingling and lost track of her. 10 minutes later we found her on the dance floor with one of the friends of the groom just cutting a rug. She had no idea who she was dancing with; she just knew she was having fun!
She has lived in the same house since about 1948. It was new when she moved in and I suspect it hasn’t changed much. There are bright yellow tiles on the kitchen wall to match the yellow counter tops. The bathroom is pale blue with a blue toilet and sink, and the entire upstairs looks like something for a Mad Men episode. I remember spending weekend there and playing with my older cousins 1970s toys. Those same toys are now being used by my cousins’ children. Time just stands still in that little green Cape Cod! To prove it, I have a picture. I was there recently for an overnight stay and opened a dresser drawer to find this.

To be more specific there was:
  • Girl Scout Handbook, given to my Aunt in 1955, 
  • How to do Everything book from 1941 that has a list price of 10 cents. To iterate this, I don’t even know WHERE the cent sign is on a computer. Do I have to go under insert symbols? No Clue. Anyway, the book teaches the modern woman all of today’s must-know skills of decoupage, knitting and pattern-making. 
  • And finally, yes, that is what you think it is, a newspaper from when we landed on the moon, 1969 ya’ll. 1969. So old, the pictures of the astronauts aren’t even photos, but drawings. 

I thought about taking the stuff and going to Vegas to meet this guy and get an appearance on Pawn Stars, but I decided against it.


Chumly from Pawn Stars

No comments: