Friday, May 13, 2011

The First Anniversary Cake

So they say you are supposed to save the top tier of your cake in the freezer and eat it on your first anniversary. Why would you want to save your cake? I don’t really get it. I also don’t really like cake. We served Bananas Foster at our wedding so we had a small cake for pictures and the cake cutting. Of course we saved it. I do see the sentimental value of it all. So it went into my parents’ freezer since the wedding was in Tennessee and we live in the DC area.
A month before our first anniversary I was home for a visit. My mom asked me if I wanted the wedding cake. I said no assuming she understood I didn’t want to take a frozen cake on an airplane back to DC then have to freeze it again. I don’t think it would have handled the trip. I could imagine the fondant melting and butter cream oozing onto someone’s jacket in the overhead compartment.
Well our anniversary rolls around and we went on a trip. I called my parents when we got home just to check in and my mom says, “You know your wedding cake really held up in the freezer. It tasted delicious.” WHAT? My mom ate the cake. But why? “You said you didn’t want it.”
I said I didn’t want to fly home with a frozen cake on my lap for 2 hours. Not that I didn’t want it period. We’re going to be in town in 2 weeks. We could have had it then. “Oh, well I didn’t know that. We’ll just have Lisa make you another one. But honey, I am telling you, it was fantastic. I had a few bites then threw it away.”
You threw it away?? I felt like Ross Gellehar from Friends when someone eats his thanksgiving left-over sandwich and throws most of it out. You threw my wedding cake away? So instead we ended up buying cupcakes and saying Happy Anniversary!

No comments: