Thursday, June 30, 2011

Company Morale - Part II

I talked about company morale in a previous post, but want to return to it just to iterate how my company has previously operated. (It's now under new management.)  First off, the plant from my previous post has since been adopted by our new COO, a master gardener, and will come back when she is pretty again.  The new COO has all kinds of plans for this place and I'm really excited to see what happens. 
Let's go back.  My office moved last year into a building that was vacant for at least 3 years.  One floor (my floor) was used as a Greek Church. From my desk I can see 15 sprinklers since they liked to use candles, a lot.  One floor was raided by the FBI for suspicion of terrorism because it was the headquarters of some Islamic non-profit. (Yes, this building seems to have been its own United Nations in it's heyday.) The entire floor was trashed with papers, food, pictures... gross.  Of course it has been completely re carpeted, painted, etc. but there are remnants, like the ugly ass yellow tile bathrooms. 
That's the new place. Now let's talk about the old place: Great location, shitty building.  Our parking lot was half covered by an overhang of the building. Consequently, we acquired a  homeless man.  He wasn't just a weirdo old homeless man either. He was younger, 20s or 30s, and only slept there, and occasionally smoked cigs with other employees.  One day, as I was walking to Starbucks, he told me I had pretty hair.  So he was ok in my book.  But let's discuss the fact that he used one of our recycling bins as a locker for all his stuff.  Or the fact that one of my co-workers saw him peeing in the parking lot one morning and he seemed to think it was ok since he was, "Aiming for the pile of leaves."
Here's a better view of his crib.  You can see he had become quite comfortable.  He had his reading materials, highlighters, etc.  The blue bin on the left was his "day-locker."  While I felt bad for him, there were pleny of shelters around the city he could go to.  So what was management's response? 
They hung about 15 of these around the outside of the building. Classy. It says, come in, let us sell you our educational products.  As I'm sure you can guess, this didn't work.  I wonder what happened to him since we have moved. I drive by the old building, which is now empty since developers are going to knock it down, and see no sign of the homeless man but the signs are still up.  And now that the building is actually empty, makes a lot of sense.

No comments: