Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Amsterdam was fun, Part II

Continuing the story of my trip to Amsterdam.  I can't tell you how much we loved it.  Highlight of the trip?  Anthony Bourdain from No Reservations was staying our hotel and we met him! I use the word "met" loosely. WE had seen a camera crew for a few days, but didn't actually see them filming anything.  Then one evening we were outside the hotel, I spotted him and whispered to my husband, 'Shut the front door, Anthony Bourdain, No Reservations.'  He said I should say hi, but I am such a geek and refuse to acknowledge famous people because I just feel like such a loser approaching them.  So of course I said, oh no, he doesn't want to talk to anyone... Well, as we approached, who do you think had the cojones to stick their hand out introduce themselves? Not me, but my husband!  He was indeed there shooting for the show and I could kick myself for not stealing getting his production schedule so I could see where he was eating.

Amsterdam is also known for it's Red Light District and yes, it exists.  Naked ladies dancing in windows, and that's when it's light out!  I didn't go there after dark, partially because it didn't get dark until midnight and I'm lame, and old and like to go to bed early.
I know it's not THE Moulin Rouge, but you get the idea.  

These are called Willy Warmers.  Use you imagination.  

The drug paraphernalia stores had everything you could think of.  Bongs, one-hitters, and yes, a cocaine snorter in the shape of a vacuum.

I don't want to put you off with the last pictures. This place is awesome and very safe.  I was just tickled at how open they are about sex and drugs there. Maybe we could learn something from them.

No comments: