Thursday, November 8, 2012

Voting

Yes, I voted. No he didn't win. And no my vote didn't count.  Am I being cynical? No. Here's what happened.
We recently moved to a new county.  I registered online for my new license and was thrilled when it came in the mail, along with a voter's registration.  I filled out the form and mailed it in.  While waiting for my registration I politely turned down every volunteer at the grocery and farmer's market asking me if I was registered.
Then THE day came and no registration!!  Egad (one of my favorite under used words)! What to do?!
Armed with my new drivers license and old voter registration card from Arlington; I went to the polling station. There was no line, lots of volunteers so I thought, I'm in!

  • First person I check in with - no you're not in our system, please see the woman in the black cardigan.  
  • Ms. Black Cardigan assisted by multicolored shirt types with 2 fingers and looks up my name. - No, you're not in our county system. And you say you live here?  You must see the woman with the glasses.
  • Glasses uses her cell to call the headquarters - You need to talk to them and give them your social security number. Done. 
  • Headquarters - Are you sure you registered?  Well ma'am you cannot vote here you'll have to go to your old place of registration. - I hang up on her. 
  • Glasses calls Bob over and a decision is made. I can make a provisional vote. About 4 forms later, I seal my PAPER ballet in an envelope to be considered and it might counted next day.
  • Upon my departure I realize the line has grown considerably, like 50 people considerably. And now 15 other people as waiting to talk to Glasses. I mumble sorry and slink out of the polling station. 

The worst part: I didn't even get a sticker!! I had to walk all the way home with no sticker. I love the stickers.

So the President was already elected. My vote didn't count. I'm terribly upset but will soldier on and vote in the next election, maybe there will be less hoops to jump through!!

No comments: