Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Nailed It

So on a whim, I decided to make a diaper cake for a friend.  What? You're going to try to be crafty, that's a shot in the dark.  Well, yes, I consider things like this, 'If I can do it, you can do it,' because my arts and crafts skills maxed out in 4th grade.  So I found a tutorial and was surprised that the directions were so short.  Here's what I followed:


Diaper Cake Supplies
:: Bottle of Wine/Champagne/Sparkling Grape Juice - This caught my eye, and yes, I used champagne.
:: Platter - I used a cardboard base
:: Rubber bands - I used leftover rubber bands from Whole Foods. Reduce reuse recycle people. 
:: Ribbons and Accents - My favorite section of Michaels is the ribbon section.  Am I the only one?
:: Baby toys

:: Large Pack of Size 1 Diapers - I used size 2 to make it more substantial.
DIY Diaper Cake Instructions
{Step 1} Place the bottle in the middle of the platter. Fan out the diapers and wrap around the bottle. Secure the row with a big rubber band.
{Step 2} Repeat for the second layer of the diaper cake and set on top of the bottom row. Three rows should be enough and will be smaller as you work your way to the top of the bottle.
{Step 3} Cover the base of the platter by gathering fabric or tulle around the diapercake. You can even add a receiving blanket as well.
{Step 4} Once the “cake” is assembled add ribbon to cover the rubber bands.  You can additional accents, toys or gifts to create a theme to make it unique for the newMom
Done and Done - thanks to my mom for making the bows look pretty. f it wasn't so for her, there would have just been a lot of knots. 

Nailed it. I just need to cover the base. Thats a little giraffe christmas ornament on the top. 
Vivian liked it. She wanted to eat it as she does everything these days. 

No comments: